Begun in 1179, the cathedral was dedicated in 1239 and completed in 1260. A notable feature at Wells is the set of so-called "scissor arches" under the central tower; they were designed in 1338 by
master mason William Joy to help carry the weight of the tower which
had begun to crack as early as 1313. This image was made directly under the
northern scissor arch.